Sunday, July 01, 2007

Computer Ergonomics? BAH! Try Ceiling Fans!

I recently complained about computer ergonometric design. Hah! I forgot about home improvement!

I had to install a ceiling fan in my kid's room today. This was a replacement fan - the supports were already there, wiring, etc. Should have been a piece of cake, right?

HAH!!! Why, oh WHY, can't there be any standards in home construction? Why does every frikkin' house have to be different in the way that fixtures are installed? I've done lots of ceiling fans, and I always run into something, but today was an exercise in Murphy's Law. Suffice to say, I will never, EVER, buy another "Harbor View" ceiling fan as long as I live.

I don't know who they have designing these things, but they're either sadists or idiots, or possibly... (it just ocurred to me...) Al Qaeda operatives. What should have been a simple one hour job turned into a six hour "creative engineering" exercise to get the stupid thing to actually mount so that it wouldn't fall down or look like ca-ca (which would have happened had I actually used their lame instructions and parts).

The only person stupider than the invertebrate that designed this POS is me, for thinking that I could actually get a quality product with reasonable installation instructions and parts without paying for something like a Hunter...

3 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

Amen,
Re-did the bathroom in our house in N.Y. a few years back. We bought the toilet that we liked (imagine liking a toilet in the first place) an Eljer product, very sleek and fit in with the other improvements nicely.

So naturally the kids plug it a few weeks after finishing the project. Guess what? No plunger made actually works on this bugger!!! None actually seal the opening enough to work, so when it gets plugged you HAVE to use a snake, lovely.

Thought I'd "share"...

3:15 PM  
Blogger Matt Dillon said...

Amen, indeed, Brutha...

I did a coupla terlits. The first one was a piece of cake. The second one... I dunno. Where'd they get those innards from? I wound up having to go to Lowe's and get a whole new ballcock and flapper valve to go into my brand new toilet to keep it from leaking into the bowl...

It's a conspiracy, I tell ya!

6:15 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

umm...maybe they didn't use an Autodesk product to design them?

Did I just go there? `8-0

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home